December 13, 2006

What's Going On???

Hello,
With the silly season fast approaching it has been a busy couple of weeks.
Report writing has, of course, featured prominently for me, although I find the package/system at my new school far superior to that of my last so it was a lot less stressful than I had imagined!
Sarah had her end of year concert for her drama, singing and dance class. It was a wonderful performance and she did us proud. Nana Jean and Deanne came too and had a ball.
We had fabulous seats with a perfect view of the entire stage and no tall people or women with hats in front! Sarah did so well with all the songs and is really starting to develop a love of performing and a presence on stage. She looked fantastic up on the stage and there was one number where some of the others were watching her to get the steps right. There was one routine that she didn't seem to know, she told me she was away when they learned that number, which was odd as I have taken her to class every week this semester. As it turned out it was something they did on the weekend workshop. But all in all it was a fabulous performance, I guess all those long hours waiting for her to finish rehearsals every week were well worth it!
While we're on the subject of Sarah performing on stage...I had half the office staff searching the school for me on Thursday as Sarah's school had rung to talk to me. It turned out her carols concert was this Thursday not the following and Sarah was devastated as she had told us the wrong date. Fortunately, I had no classes that afternoon as the year 10s had finished and I had all my In Lieu classes in the morning. So I dashed over to her school; and there she was, practically folded over the fence watching for my car. You should have seen how happy and relieved she looked as she and her friends raced along the fence line to meet me.
The carols concert was great and all the kids looked like they were having a wonderful time. Even the teachers gave a performance, which brought a smile to my face...it was Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard and it reminded me that holidays are fast approaching.
When Sarah and I got back to my school we got even more good news. Not that I like to talk about money (it's just not the done thing) but my pay slip was in my pigeon hole and I knew it wouldn't be pretty as I joined the strike action last week. The timing was terrible and I was dreading the truth...but to my surprise I was actually paid considerably MORE than usual as there was an adjustment in my salary with almost 6 months arrears to be paid....take that Mr Howard and your disgusting IR laws!!!!
I went to a great retirement do that week as well. It was for Anna, Rod and Andy from my old school. It was at a restaurant near by so I walked there (great idea as I got really spooked on the way home). The evening was wonderful. I was able to catch up with my dear friends and colleagues. As much as I know I've made the right decision in moving schools I miss these people so much.
Sandra's speech on behalf of Anna was marvellous, she really has a gift for public speaking and Anna was of course incredibly witty. It is a sad day for education when someone as talented, passionate, intelligent, caring and brilliant as Anna leaves the system. I just hope she takes to writing so I can continue to learn from her. Enjoy your retirement Anna Banana.
Well, there's been lots of other things going on but it all escapes me now so I'll just give you a quick house update.....




























































































Physically, everything is just about ready to go, or so it seems. Of course no one works in the building industry this time of year and the banking industry doesn't seem any better. Then of course there's all that council stuff not to mention the estate approval and a surveyor or valuer from the bank. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! It seems unduly complicated, for example, you can't get the final bank cheque until you get the certificate of occupancy...but what do you need in order to get that all important certificate??? You guessed it...the final bank cheque. And somehow you have to get about 50 different people out to come and inspect and check everything and issue insurance and heaven knows what else....and we thought the building stage was challenging! So we'll have more agony waiting for all the paperwork and other red tape to go through. There are also some minor touch-ups around the place and of course the all important installation of appliances and our water tank(just try to get a plumber this time of year), which of course they don't install until the day before you move in because of all the thieves who pinch things from unoccupied houses...just look at what happened with our doors and the trough. Still it is getting closer and we celebrated after our walk through with Bruce last night by grabbing a take away and eating a delicious family meal in our beautiful home.

1 comment:

Just one of many said...

Cute girl! Nice pics all around! I would love to come to Australia...