January 16, 2007

Scorcher

The temperature climbed right up today with Aaron's car telling us it was 43 degrees!! We were in the car after the power cut because the air con in the car is great, unfortunately I didn't like the idea of driving around when traffic lights were out and the radio was reporting multiple accidents. There was also nowhere to get fuel. When we got home the house had only warmed up by one degree so even without the aircon it wasn't too bad.
So what about the house???
Well I'm not posting photos yet as I'm running on Peter's dial-up at the moment but I'm happy with the progress we're making. We have some decking out the back and our stipple concrete was poured along the side yesterday. Weather permitting we should get our driveway soon. I love the stipple down the side and it has created a perfect area for a courtyard citrus garden with Mediterranean overtones. Peter even poured the slab for our letterbox.
I'm still getting used to the incredible bursts of wind we have here, one has just whipped up a load of dust now so it's shut the windows time. It makes me want to read Montana 1948 again as I think I would appreciate the characters a lot more now! Or maybe I'll just watch Twister instead. Our wood chipped back yard has made a big difference to the amount of dust blowing into the house.
There has been quite a bit of progress in the estate. Some of the site scrapes done between Christmas both had their slabs poured the first week of the new year and one now has frame and roof trusses. A porter loo and site scrape or two have been completed in stage 4 and a lot of houses have had general work done on them. Tradies started very early today, I heard one truck at 4.30, probably so they could finish work early in the hot weather. I was actually surprised to see anyone working at all today but there they were.
Well, I feel a bit guilty hogging the internet so I'll sign off now. Hopefully our internet will be sorted soon as we have switched ISPs, until then....

No comments: